Provost Dugald McLaurin

Provost Dugald McLaurin

Provost Dugald McLaurin

Dugald McLaurin was a native of Dalbeattie. He was the Provost in Dalbeattie between 1911 until his death in 1913.  He once owned the building that the museum is situated in today. Dugald was born in 1846 and died on 17th August 1913, aged 67 years. Dugald was never married and when he died a long obituary appeared in the Kirkcudbright Advertiser on Friday 22nd August 1913.

Dugald McLaurin was layed to rest in Dalbeattie Cemetery on Thursday 21st August 1913. It was noted that it rained heavily that day. The public and others who were connected to Dugald gathered at the town hall and they marched from there in procession to Dalbeattie Parish Church, where a service was held. The officiting clergymen were Rev. Lewis McGlashan, Rev J.A Paton (Colliston United Free Church), rev J. E Gillespie (Kirkgunzeon Church) and Rev J. P Wilson (St Quivox and former minister of Dalbeattie Parish church).

The Town Council was represented by Bailies, Dornan and Jack. Councillors Clark, Shennan, Mundell, Rae, McGill and Wilson. Mr R Wilson was also in attendance as Burgh Surveyor. Representing the school board was Mr Maxwell of Munchies, Mr J.E Milligan, Mr William Biggar, Mr James Dunn and Mr Anderson.

The Parish Council by Mr Herries, Mr Thomas Fraser, Mr J.D McClymont, Mr J Gilchrist, Mr J Dempster and Mr Austin.

The Bowling Green was represented by Mr D Forteath, Mr J Simpson, Mr J R McLennan, Mr John Rae and Mr James Burnie.

Mr Baxter, Headmaster for Dalbeattie High School brought along a number of senior pupils.

Sergeant Teesdale also attended.

Many local worthies attended such as Sir Mark McTaggart Stewart, Bart of Southwick, Mr Maxwell of Kirkkennan, Mr W. H Newall ( Dalbeattie Quarry), Mr D Young, Dr Morris, Mr M. S McKerrow, Inspector Biggar, Mr J. R Saunders (burgh prosecutor).

The elders of the church sat in the front pews were, Ex Provost Shaw, Mr Alex Wilson, Mr Jas Irving, Major Kerr and Mr A McPherson.

The pulpit was noted as being draped in black.

After the service the congregation walked to the deceased house. Where a large crowd had gathered. It was a holiday in the town and all the shops were closed. Even the factories in the town had decided to close between noon and after the funeral hour.

Wreaths had been given by relatives and friends but also the Town Council, the Conservative Club, the Bowling Club, and elders of the church.

The cortege proceeded to the cemetery along the High Street and John Street. Many of the houses they passed had drawn their blinds in a mark of respect.

The Pall- bearers were Mr John brown (Maxwellton), he was also a cousin. Mr James Brown, Mr James McLaurin (cousin) Mr Brown (Chevington) cousin, Mr William Brown (Liverpool) cousin, Mr R. C Brown (Castle Douglas) cousin, Mr Hugh brown (Newcastle) cousin, and Mr Herbert Brown (Bradford) cousin.

All the arrangements were made by  Messrs W and T Sinclair, Dalbeattie. The flowers that lined the grave were by Mr William Thompson, gardener from the Barrhill Dalbeattie.