New email address

Please note that our email address has changed to

Refurbishment of Museum Entrance

During the museums closed period between November and the end of March the museum volunteers took the opportunity to refurbish the 'front shop' of the museum.

The shop counter was reduced in size and moved to allow for easier visitor access to exhibits. Display cabinets were also moved to provide more space.

A coat of paint brightened the shop along with a new carpet, in an appropriate granite grey colour and some new lights finished off the changes.

30th Anniversary


In April 2023 Dalbeattie Museum celebrates their 30th Anniversary.

Come along and see what has changed over the last thirty years.


Comrades of the two World Wars

1914 - 1918


1939 - 1945

The names that appear on our memorial that stands proudly in our park has 106 names.

C.Airley, James Allan,  D Barrowman, James Blacklock, N Boates, D. Brown, J. Boyd, J. Broadfoot, M. Brown, James Brown. Chris Caig, George Caldow, James Callender, James Campbell, J Curruthers, J. Carson,

Wm Carswell, Joseph Caven, D. Chalmers, R Copland, J. Dill, W. Dixon, D. Dixon, Thomas Dobbie,

Michael Dolan, John Dowdes, James Drain, Joe Ferguson, John Fortune, D.Geddes, T. Geddes, M. Gilmore, James Gourlay, J. Gowan, F. Green, James Halliday, Alex Hamilton, John Hannah, J. Harriman,

Duff Henderson, Joe Henderson, A Huxlable, R. Ireland, James Jardine, J. Kinnan, Clark Kennedy, Wm Kerr,

J. Kirkpatrick, F. Lee, George Mansfield, S Markham, Sidney Marriott, G. Maxwell, J. McAdam, Sam McCaig,  T. Mclelland, R. McDonald, Wm McGhie, A. McHenry, Andy McKie, J. McKinnell, John McMutrie, Jas McMutrie, Wm McWhirter, A. McWilliam, F. McGhie, Alex Millar, A. Millburn, W. Millburn, W. Milroy, W Monaghan,

John Morrison, Alex Muirhead, W. Murray, A. Neilson, A. Niven, John Paton, Jessie J Patterson, Jas W Pool, W. Proudfoot, George Purdie, W.Rae, John Rain, M. Richardson, Joe Richardson,

John Riddick, R. Robertson, Tom Robertson,

W. Slingby, Nat Sloan, M.B Smith W. Smith, Wm Solley, John Watson Steel,

JJ. Stevenson, Jas Sturgeon, A Strurgeon, Wm Sturgeon, R. Swanson, R. Teesdale, RJ Thomson, Jas Varcy, J. weeks, JT Wright,

Gordon Wykes, A. Young, McAdam, McGuffog

Bandstand and War Memorial Dalbeattie

Unveiling the war memorial

Dalbeattie War Memorial was unveiled on Sunday 4th 1921, by a local war hero, Mr William Alexander, who was blinded while in action serving with the Royal Scots Fusiliers. The address was given by

Mr W.J.H. Maxwell of Munches. Two of whose sons are listed on the memorial.

It is a hexagonal pillar surmounted by a Galloway Lion. The whole memorial is made from Dalbeattie Granite. The design was under the advice of

Mr W. S. McGeorge R.S.A  and

Mr E. A. Hornel, an artist from Kirkcudbright.

Dalbeattie Cemetery also has 9 Commonwealth War Graves.

Sergeant W Sturgeon- Kings Own Scottish Borderers, 

Jeannie Turnbull Wright - Queen Marys Army Auxiliary Corps

Lance Corporal F Young- Border Regiment

Private John McDonald- Highland  Light Infantry (City of Glasgow Regiment)

Driver. Brydson Ewart - Royal Engineers

Sergeant James Stretton - Royal Air Force Volunterr Reserve

Sergeant Joseph Wykes- Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve

Lance Corporal George Marr- Corps of Military Police

Colour Sergeant A.S. Syme - Kings Own Scttish Borderers


The flag draping the coffin is the Canadian "Red Ensign" which until 1921 carried the crests of the 4 founding Provinces. (One of which has a distinctive red cross) and parade was making its way to Dalbeattie Cemetery.. 


The soldier was Sergeant Thomas William of the 2nd Battalion, Canadian Infantry from Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario.


He had been wounded in June 1916 and while recovering he visited his brother Captain John Hugh Johnston who was serving with the Canadian Forestry Corps at Orchardton near Auchencairn. 


Thomas was fatally wounded by the accidental discharge of a hunting rifle and died in hospital in Dumfries on 23 January 1917..


He was buried with full military honours at Dalbeattie but after the war his body was re-interred in Peterhead Cemetery in Aberdeenshire (but no one knows why!)


These pictures and information was kindly shared by

Ken and Ann Morrison


Gun on Pond Collision park Dalbeattie

Girls Training Corps card- Kathleen Henderson (Roberts)

Reverse side of card


They shall not grow old, as that are left grow old:

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning,

We will remember them.



Our Museum Celebrates 25 Years


James Clerk Maxwell Talk by Capt D. Ferguson

James Clerk Maxwell lecture by Capt Duncan Ferguson 

Our first open meeting of 2015  was on Sunday 29th March and was very well attended with members and friends enjoying a talk by Capt Duncan Ferguson, who's talk was on the subject of James clerk maxwell from Glenlair.
The meeting started with chairman Donald Henderson giving a quick report on what has happened in the museum over the winter months. The theme for this year main exhibition is to be about the local railway line called the paddy line.

Donald spoke about dates for the 2015 Calander, such as our coffee morning on June 27 th in the lesser town hall at 10am and then the following day the 28th, there will be a talk in the church centre , Craignair street, with our speaker Mr Angus Rex , talking about the lost railways Of Galloway . 
This was then Followed by treasurer Mr bill brothwick giving  a financial report. 

After the museum business then . Donald introduced Capt d Ferguson from Glenlair. Capt Ferguson gave a light hearted illustrated talk on the life of James clerk maxwell .

After the lecture the members and friends had refreshments.

Chairmans Report 2014

Dalbeattie Museum Trust Limited held its recent Annual General Meeting in the Church Centre, Craignair Street, Dalbeattie where over 50 members and friends attended.


Donald Henderson, Chairman, read out his annual report in which he thanked all the volunteers for their hard work and effort in making 2014 another great season for the museum. The comments written in the visitor’s book reflected good positive feedback and prove what an asset the museum is to the town. The website is now very popular and is viewed from as far a field as Canada and North America.


The main exhibition this year related to both First and Second World Wars and was a great attraction to the younger generation who asked many questions about the exhibits.  The Chairman also gave a resume of the work, which had been done to the museum roof, and the fitting of new security cameras.  He concluded his speech with a report on the Christmas window display that the “Wednesday Club” had been working on.  The main exhibition for 2015 will be on the history of the railway line that ran from Dumfries to Stranraer via Dalbeattie and was known locally as “The Paddy Line.” Next year will be the 50th anniversary of the closure of Dalbeattie station and its line. The museum is looking for donations of artefacts relating to the railway that can be loaned to us for the summer months to be displayed.


Finally, two dates for your diary next year, the first being our next Open Meeting on 29th March and secondly, our Coffee Morning in the Lesser Town Hall, Dalbeattie on 27th June and we look forward to seeing you all at these events.

Visit of the Lord Lieutenant

The Lord Lieutenant of this district Sir Michael Ross on this annual tour of Dalbeattie visited our museum. He was met by the Chairman Mr Tommy Henderson who in turn introduced him to most of the volunteers that help run the museum throughout he year. This was the first time in 20 years any official visit to the museum had taken place.

He was most impressed with what he saw. He wished us every success in our new venture, and hoped the new extension to our premises would encourage lots more visitors this coming year.

After coffee and biscuits he thanked everyone and congratulated the trust on the enthusiasm and dedication of its members to achieve a museum of such a high standard and to the preservation of all that Dalbeattie had added to the economy of the District in the past. His   last remark was "I will be back!".

Tommy Henderson becomes a Life President!

Tommy Henderson "Life President", Of Dalbeattie Museum


Dalbeattie Museum has a new "Life President", Tommy Henderson accepted this position at the Dalbeattie Museum A.G.M. Donald Henderson becomes "Chairman", Donald is the son of Mr Tommy Henderson.

Donald shall work along side his dad to share some of the responsibilities for the running of Dalbeattie Museum. Donald has helped his dad since the first thought of having a museum in Dalbeattie, but looks forward to his new position.

Donald Henderson, New Chairman of Dalbeattie Museum



Esther Rantzen and Dalbeattie Museum

On Saturday 11th August Dalbeattie Museum welcomed TV presenter Esther Rantzen through its doors. After such an exciting summer with the "Titanic Exhibition" bring many new visitors, this was the "Icing on the cake", for the museum. 

Esther, Ada and Carolyne arrive at the museum 

Esther Rantzen and Ada Johnston entering Dalbeattie Museum







Esther arrived at 11am with her friend Mrs Ada Johnston along with Ken and Carolyne Miller. There was an exciting buzz surrounding the museum and the visitors who were already in the museum got a huge surprise when Esther walked in. Ada introduced Esther to Mr Tommy Henderson (Chairman) and to other volunteers who had managed to attend. Esther chatted to each and everyone of them. Tommy then gave Esther a guided tour of the museum. When they were looking at the display deplicting the granite industry , Mr Donald Henderson told her why the granite is so famous in Dalbeattie.Esther And Ada at the dress Ada made.


Esther then proceeded upstairs to the main display area and she and Ada chatted about the dress that had brought then together many years before.  Dalbeattie Museum Volunteers and Esther Rantzen


Esther and Tommy in the main display area   After many pictures were taken Esther, Ada, Ken and Carolyne left as Esther had to judge the parade.






Tommy Henderson said " This has proven to be one of the more interesting days in the museum this year and we would like to "Thank" Esther Rantzen for taking time out to come and visit our museum. It was great!".        

Esther Rantzen signs our visitors book





Dalbeattie Museum would just like to "Thank" Suzanne Baxter for letting us use her photographs.

To read about how Ada Johnston and Esther Rantzen first met click on this link Ada Johnston, The Big Time



Dalbeattie Museum Awarded The Queens Award For Voluntary Services

Dalbeattie Museum's voluntary members were awarded this highly prestigious award on the 2nd of June 2009 as a recognition of all their hard work over the last 16 years. Tommy Henderson said on receiving the news of the award "It is really wonderful that the museum and the people of Dalbeattie have been recognized for all the hard work that has gone in over the years" the award will be presented by the Lord Lieutenant of Stewartry on a later date and four members of the museum trust have been invited to the Queens garden party at Holyrood House in Edinburgh.

Community Champion Award

Dumfries and Galloway Life magazine held its first awards ceremony to reward unsung heros in our area at Easterbrook Hall at the Crichton on Wednesday 10th November. It was at this ceremony that Tommy Henderson our founder and Chairman of Dalbeattie Museum was awarded the Community Champion Award for his life time dedication to the town of Dalbeattie and Dalbeattie Museum.

Tommy said " It was the biggest surprise of my life that they chose me!".

What made this award even more special was that it was sponsored by The Glasgow Association, who are no strangers to the Museum and the work that Tommy does. Tommy revealed that it gave him great pleasure to think that people in the area thought so highly of him. The Crystal Trophy stand proud in his house as a reminder of this happy occasion.

Tommy would also like to take this opportunity to say a huge Thank You for who nominated him and to say no one could appreciate the award more than him!

The Official Presentation of The Queens Award for Voluntary Service 2009

On Tuesday the 7th Of July 2009 in the Town Hall, Dalbeattie. Dalbeattie Museum was officially presented with their Queens Award Certificate and Commemorative Crystal Ware for Voluntary Service, from  Lt. Col. Sir Malcolm Ross, GCVO OBE.

The Presentation Ceremony started off by guests being met by the Lieutenant's Piper, Miss Megan Morgan.

The introductions were done by Mr. Derek Crichton, Area Manager for the Stewartry. Followed  by Mrs. Jean Farish who gave a small speech about how the museum had received the award. Next the presentation, where Tommy Henderson, Chairman, received the certificate and Crystal Ware from Lt. Col. Sir Malcolm Ross.  Mr. Tommy Henderson then replied on behalf of the volunteers with a speech thanking everyone for this huge privilege bestowed on them. Shortly after Mr. Tommy Henderson gave a presentation on the history of the making of Dalbeattie Museum.

A Buffet and light refreshments finished off the exciting evening.

Titanic Weekend


On Saturday 14th April the museum opened its doors at 10am and the first visitors through the doors were given a boarding pass, as if boarding the ship "Titanic". Throughout the day refreshments were offered along with nibbles.

White Star Boarding Pass

Entering further into the shop area children could have their picture taken at our reconstructed "Titanic Ship", re-enacting the scene from the film with Leonardo and Kate Winslet. This was a great hit. Graeme Henderson was then in-charge of printing out these pictures and handing them over as a souvenir of their visit.

Dalbeattie High School Badge


Another popular item was a badge that Dalbeattie High School had produced, which has the White Flag deplicted on it. This badge costs £1:50.


The Wigtownshire Amature Radio Club and Dumfries and Galloway RAYNET were using GB100MUC callsign over the weekend to commemorate RMS Titanic's 100th Anniversary and to William McMaster Murdoch, who was born in Dalbeattie on the 28th Februrary 1873. William Murdoch came from a seafaring family and rose to the rank First Officer with the White Star Line. William McMaster Murdoch was on the bridge of the Titanic as the ship hit the iceberg. The two radio groups had a great weekend having had over 1000 hits from other amature radio individuals from around the world.  Much more information on the Wigtownshire Amature Radio Club can be found on or or to see the calls we recieved.

Titanic Display

At 6pm the volunteers closed the doors, having welcomed over 210 visitors.


Sunday 15th April was another repeat of the day before and when the doors closed at 5pm another 105 visitors had came to see our Titanic exhibition and our other displays. 

Dalbeattie museum had had a great weekend and it was nice to see the museum full to bursting with visitors.

Tommy Henderson




Tommy Henderson chairman of Dalbeattie Museum would like to take this opportunity to Thank each and every visitor for attending but also to Thank his loyal band of volunteers for their continuing hard work and dedication to Dalbeattie Museum and for making the "Titanic Weekend" such a huge success.





Titanic Wreath

A surprise of the day was a visit from a direct relative of William McMaster Murdoch, who had travelled all the way from Liverpool. 

20 Years Celebration



Cake for celebration20 Years Celebration

A great buzz was in the museum on Saturday 30th March, as we celebrated the museum being open for 20 years.

Cake Cutting


This is quite an achievement for a small town museum that is self funded.





cutting cake2

Cake Cutting3


Donald giving his speech

Visitors come to help us celebrate















Donald Henderson gave a speech in appreciation not only to the loyal band of volunteers but to Tommy Henderson having the foresight to build the museum, when many people thought it would not work.  

Many visitors on holiday were encouraged to join in the celebration.  In total 91 visitors had visited the museum on Saturday.

Visitors come to help us celebrate



Tommy Cutting Cake









A crowd of 55 watched as Chairman Tommy Henderson cut the cake.


Loyal Band of Volunteers


Tommy Henderson and Stan Norman, who helped build museum











Dalbeattie Museum Committee







Tommy Henderson and Mr Stan Norman. Stan was a volunteer who helped build the museum 20 years ago and is Dalbeattie Museums oldest member at the age of 99.



  Bobby McLauchlan, Donald Henderson and Tommy Henderson




A great day was had by all and we look forward to the next 20 years!


Donald Henderson and his Dad Tommy Henderson










   Waiting on celebrations to start






 Bobby McLauchlan and Erica Johnson





  Visitors getting shown around






 20 Years party





  20 Years party








Thank you for making our day memorable.

Decca Navigator MK53


Decca Navigator MK3 Presentation

 Donald Henderson with Willie Williamson presenting Decca Radio

On Saturday 9th March, Donald Henderson welcomed Mr Willie Williamson from Birkenhead to our museum. Mr Williamson is the archivist for the Radio Officers Association. He came to the museum to personally hand deliver a Decca Navigator MK53.

The Decca Navigator MK53 is a hyperbolic radio navigation aid for shipping. It is operated by measuring the phase differences between continuous signals from a master and slave stations. These differences were then related to a hyperbolic lines printed on a chart. Then your position could be found.


Dalbeattie Museum is thrilled to add this navigation aid too its radio collection, and it shall be on display for our visitors to see.

Radio Display

Dalbeattie Museum would just like to Thank, Mr Willie Williamson for his kind donation.  

Radio Memorabilia display


Come Celebrate with Us....

On Saturday 30th March at 11am onwards, Dalbeattie Museum invites you to join us, in the museum, to celebrate 20 years since the museum threw open its doors and welcomed its first visitors.

It was a wonderful day and many people came and supported the museum and the members had a feeling that the museum just might be a success. Thousands of visitors have come to see our collection and leave lovely comments in our visitors book like " Arrived as strangers but left as friends".opening day 20 years ago

Since that day we have written a book.Through the lens book

This book was such a huge success, and the profits helped the running costs of the building.


Second book written by Tommy HendersonSecond book was written by Tommy Henderson and was also a success.


We sold items in a charity shop.Billy Wood And Tommy Henderson setting up charity shop






We have held exhibitions.     













 Mr Ello Whalen opened our stairlift, so that our disabled visitors can see our display on the upper level


Original volunteer Mr Ello Whalen on Stairlift




We have done so much more, so come along to the museum on the 30th march and let us tell you our story!

Presentation to Donald Henderson

Presentation of Trophy to Donald Henderson

  A presentation was made to Dalbeattie Museum member, Donald Henderson, of the Hilda Kelday Trophy by the Wigtownshire Amateur Radio Club for Organising the successful "Titanic Weekend", in the museum. On this weekend over 1000 contacts were made around the world from the special event station. The station was based in the museum over the whole weekend. The station had a special callsign of GB100 MUC

The Museum would like to "Thank" the members of the Wigtownshire Amateur Radio Club and Dumfries and Galloway RAYNET Group for making this event the success it was.

Radio Callsign Leaflet      Radio Room in Museum for Titanic weekend



Wine and Cake at the Museum

Visitors to the Dalbeattie Museum on the 30th of September got quite a surprise when they discovered a party atmosphere. Most of the volunteers were there to celebrate with the chairman, Tommy Henderson and his wife, Phemie Henderson in celebrating their Golden Wedding Anniversary.

Tommy and Phemie Henderson on their Golden Wedding

Wine, cake and nibbles were available to all who attended, including the visitors. This event coincided  with the "Day Of The Region", so the museum had a few extra visitors.

Visitors numbers to the museum are again up from the previous year, taking the total this year to over 7000 people through the door. The "Titanic" exhibition has been a huge success, with visitors arriving from all over the world.

The Museum will close its doors for this season on the 31st October 2012.

Tommy Henderson (Chairman), would just like to take this opportunity  to "Thank" each and everyone who has supported us in any way, and hope you will all come back and visit us again in 2013!

Civic Day 2012

Tommy Henderson and Morris Car

On Saturday 11th August 2012, Dalbeattie Museum at the last minute decided to put an entry into the parade. This was to promote the museum and remind visitors to go and see the museum while in Dalbeattie for all the civic day events.

Mr John Wilson of Jas P Wilson, very kindly gave us the loan of his 1956 Morris Minor. It turned out to be the best parade Dalbeattie had seen in a long time and may have been due to the wonderful weather that day, as it was warm and sunny.

Tommy drove the car through the parade and said " It was great to see so many people enjoying themselves", Tommy also enjoyed driving the Morris, as he had one many years ago.


Morris in Parade in Dalbeattie


Dalbeattie Museum remembers Mr. Ernie Robinson

The name Ernie Robinson will be known the whole world over through his passion for all things that had a connection with the sea. Especially Ernie's huge interest in all that sailed on the Solway Firth.

Ernie was a lecturer at one time in Penrith. He had a holiday home called "Victory Cottage" in the village of Portling in Dumfries and Galloway.  This was where Dalbeattie Museums President Mr Tommy Henderson was to first meet Ernie, as he had required an electrician to do some wiring at the cottage. This is almost 45 years ago and they became close friends ever since.

Tommy Henderson was encouraged by Ernie to start his Museum in Dalbeattie, even though Ernie never took an active part in the building of the Museum he was always in the background.

His knowledge of local history especially local ships and their captains, where and when each ship was built and even to how much they cost. He spent hours in London researching out information from Maritime records. All copied by long hand.

Ernie was a perfectionist especially if a wrong date appeared in type, as Tommy has found in the books which were gifted to the Museum.

The Museum now has the most comprehensive collection of facts and figures appertaining to the sailing vessels that frequented the Solway Firth and the River Urr, when the boats came up as far as Dalbeattie Harbour.

Ernie will be sadly missed by his friends and acquaintances in Dalbeattie Museum.

13 Hardback Gallovidian Annuals

Only a few weeks ago the Museum became the custodians of 13 bound Gallovidian Annuals from Rory Callan, Mr Ivie Callan grandson. these have been given to the Museum on a long term loan but they will be a great source of information for our visitors to refer to for local information and history of the area.